Senior Project Manager
To be an efficient employer’s representative and proactive senior project manager, supporting the Construction Director, and being an integral part of the Quintain Construction team.
- With minimal support take responsibility and leadership in the overall project planning, project accounting and control, technical direction and quality compliance, and design and construction of specified projects from inception through to closure.
- To be accountable for day to day delivery of those projects within the set parameters of time, quality, cost and risk.
- To work proactively with other members of the Quintain team to ensure that a unified approach is presented to external consultants and contractors.
- To nurture and maintain strong relationships with our supply chain partners.
- To provide robust technical and cost advice to assist our development managers as necessary.
- To stay appraised of the latest construction technologies and changes in legislation to ensure our developments are future proofed.
- In respect of the specified construction projects, to manage, and be the single point of contact between, the client body, external stakeholders and the design and construction teams.
- To allocate resources appropriately, motivate others, maintain a cordial relationship with all stakeholders, and communicate effectively.
- To pay due regard to the formalisation of all relevant matters such as the recording of meetings, the execution of consultant appointments and building contracts, through to full and effective project handover.
- Set, update and review and amend project programme to monitor and control progress
- Responsibility for implementing and compliance to SHE policies and procedures including carrying out regular inspections
- Ensure project risks are identified and managed through effective mitigation measures and maintain the risk register
- To assist the Head of Construction in any dispute resolution where necessary.
- To take responsibility for the delivery of specified matters for the common good of the Quintain Project Management team.
- To at all times adequately report on the allocated projects in a clear, concise and transparent manner.
- Undertake additional relevant duties which fall under the general scope of the role, as directed by your Manager, raising any issues with capacity so they can be properly managed;
- Participate in the full year and half year Performance Development Review process as reviewer and reviewee, meeting the standards and timescales required by the Company;
- At all times ensure that your understanding and skill level regarding the Company’s IT systems are up to date, as applicable to your role. Undertake IT training as required to ensure full and proper use of the available technology;
- Work within the Company’s policies and procedures, governance framework and standards, as detailed in the Company handbook;
- Remain knowledgeable about Group activities, benefiting from all forms of internal communication provided and acting as a positive ambassador for the Company at all times;
- Use materials and resources effectively and efficiently to minimise waste and consider the impact of potential actions on the environment before taking business decisions
Qualifications and Experience
- Project Management or Construction degree with a relevant professional qualification (e.g. RICS, APM, MCIOB). Or alternatively be able to demonstrate qualification by relevant experience.
- Fully conversant with and experience of the UK construction market obtained either from a contractor, consultancy or developer.
- Knowledge of Contract Law and JCT Standard Forms of Building Contract would be advantageous.
- Self-motivated, hardworking and enthusiastic with the ability to work independently on own initiative, but willingness to take direction and guidance from Head of Construction when required.
- Intermediate/advanced IT skills including MS Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint and Publisher.
- Knowledge and experience of Asta PowerProject would be preferable (but not essential).
Core Competencies of the Role:
- Good problem-solving skills.
- Strong analytical and technical skills with excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to challenge.
- The ability to lead by example and set a positive culture which embraces the implementation and compliance with SHE policy and procedures.
- Collaborative team-player, with the ability to build and maintain relationships and contribute to overall team result.
- Ability to manage direct reports and contractors in a collaborative style to achieve project deliverables.
- Act as mentor to assistant project managers and project managers to aid their learning and development.
- Experienced and comfortable with working on site and managing in the site environment.
- Understanding of the importance of programming and planning for delivery of the development.
- Reporting on progress using information from programme drop line and an understanding this may have on the overall project critical path.
- Knowledge of the major types of construction contract, e.g. JCT with Quants, JCT Design & Build, NEC etc.
- Understanding of when the different types of contract should be used and how they can mitigate, transfer or manage risk.
- Ability to negotiate amendments to standard form contracts to take account of specific project requirements.